Saturday, August 21, 2010

Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails

When I was a kid, I was a boy. I lived around boys, I played with boys, and I'm pretty sure I smelled like boys. I played in the woods, jumped off dirt cliffs, owned my own pair of camos and had my own BB gun. But, one day, I discovered something called MAKE UP , and CLOTHES, and I never looked back. I think I then started to look AT boys, and that was the end of that.  I am now the girliest of girls and the only time I am near the woods is when I pass by them in my CAR.

Sooo... the irony is... I have BOYS. Lot's of em. In one of God's great cosmic hilarious jokes, I got only boys. Not a girl to be found at my house other than me. No one will get their nails done with me, no one will let me play with their hair, there is no "outfit discussion time" .. and there is a pretty persistent smell..One of those "SMELLS" that only boys seem to have when they are outside for more that 2 seconds. I often wonder how this could have happened. I didn't order two boys... I assumed the first would be a boy, the second would be a girl.. all would be perfect. Um, yeah, not so much... They are the very best, and they hold my heart,  but still... ALL BOYS. I am realizing however, that as the only female I hold all the cards. They don't know this of course, but I'm the boss... I mean, who is going to argue with that crazy GIRL lady? She is the only one of her kind in this alien planet and should be handled with care. I was speaking with a mother the other day that had two boys. (We boy moms tend to notice each other and give each other sympathetic looks in public) She noted that in her house even though she was outnumbered that she was the "Princess" and that she was learning to enjoy that.  I smiled. I laughed. Princess, hell honey. I'm the QUEEN. Jus sayin.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny - and although I've known you forEVER I never knew you during your boy stage. That's a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl . . . . I SO feel ya on the boy thing -- My little Stella is my saving grace (hence her middle name!) Pee on the seat (and surrounding areas), pockets full of . . . sheer nonsense (WHY would one want to keep such things as dead crickets, along with chewed gum, in your pants?!), fighting. Fighting amongst my two boys. WHY?! For the love of GOD, why?! My girl doesn't play into that! In fact, she's the one trying to break it up! However, boys sure do love their Mamas, don't they . . . And one day they'll be taking care of us when we're old. So, we love 'em in spite of themselves and know, in the end, enduring all this 'boy', will pay off more than we know.

    I love ya. And your blogging self! I'm inspi(red). (Just thought I'd be all cool and modern and spell it like that. Cause I'm awesome. LIke you ;) Gotta get my game on!

    XO!

    ReplyDelete